Monday, April 14, 2008

No country for old men

I recently enjoyed watching No Country for Old Men. I'm going to cautiously recommend this movie knowing that some people will automatically not watch it for the same reason we avoid most stuff that challenges us, but regardless.

This movie was great. I enjoyed the barrenness of the film which was shot entirely in Texas. I just flew over the area in which it was filmed on my way back from Kansas and the landscape begs for a movie of desperation to be shot there. I remember hiking in on the edge of West Texas and New Mexico over ten years ago. The land is vast and empty. I thought the land is as much a character as the actor is in the film.

The villain/psycho killer (Javier Bardem) was a crazy glue sniffing type of character who was also fairly moral, strangely enough. He's chasing down an everyday guy (Josh Brolin) who stumbles upon a boatload of heroin and money while hunting one day. (Woody Harrelson) shows up in a fairly comical arrogant role and then is humbled while in pursuit of Bardem's character.

The sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones) weathered as ever and wise, is sadly comical and he steals the screen with his believability as well. He is hot on the trail and is slowly piecing all of the elements together, but is always a step behind if you know what I mean.

The pace of this film was great and I enjoyed this film way more than I thought I would. It was a pleasant surprise. It reminded me of the best parts of westerns and the best parts of thrillers that I've enjoyed as well.

The Coen brothers have made other thought provoking films such as Fargo and O Brother Where Art Thou?, they have an uncanny ability to make difficult characters likable. For those who are fans of The Usual Suspects or Boon dock Saints you should enjoy this film. If you dislike dramas that are dark stay away from this film and rent Live Free or Die Hard. Although you will dislike No Country for it's heavier story and content. I think it deals with the subjects of greed, malice and vengeance as honestly as any movie I've seen.

Giddy up. I'm watching Once with Carrie tonight. I hope it lives up to the hype.

1 comment:

Trinket said...

Chris, I just found your blog (through Linda's,) and thought I'd say hi. We have No Country For Old Men here from NetFlix but haven't watched it yet. What did you think of Once? We did see that one.