Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dan Barker

As many of you know, Dan Barker, is now back in his home at UCYC and is continuing his therapy following his accident last month. He is a walking miracle and a testimony to the power of prayer and God's miraculous work. If you want to read the story from the first day of Dan's accident until this past Monday, July 27th, check out 1scooter.blogspot.com. My friend Kris, has written a great account of what has happened over the last five weeks in Dan's life.

The following is a challenge that I'm undertaking with my friend Danny Cox to raise money for Dan's ongoing medical expenses. Please take the time to read more about what we are doing....thanks!

Chris

The Dan Barker Weight-Loss-Athon Challenge


The Situation: A few weeks back a friend of mine, Dan Barker, fell 40 feet while doing some rock climbing in Sedona, Arizona. His injuries include: swelling to the brain, a deep bruise to his left lung, broken vertebrae, fractured pelvis, and laceration to his head, facial fractures, broken jaw, fractured right wrist and a hole in his intestine. Doctors have been amazing! They have already done surgeries which include: repairing two small holes in his small intestine, facial reconstructive surgery, surgery on his right and left wrist, surgery to wire his jaw shut so it can heal, a tracheotomy was performed so he can eat while his jaw is wired shut, and the list goes on.

The need: As you can imagine the medical bill for this is going to be astronomical. Dan has insurance but is going to need to meet his deductible and his max out of pocket expense. A fund called the “Dan Barker Medical Fund” has been established to help Dan with his expenses.

The Challenge: I am teaming up with a few of Dan Barker’s friends to raise as much money as possible for our buddy Dan. Our main challenge is what I would like to talk to you about in this letter. We are having a “Dan Barker Weight-loss-athon” for Dan. Starting August 1st, and going until November 1st, , several others and myself are going to do everything we can to lose as much weight as possible in the hopes that our family and friends will sponsor us per pound of weight loss. The money we raise will go towards the Dan Barker Medical Fund.

*If you would like to join the challenge and help Dan raise money, just let me know.


The Humble Question: Will you sponsor me in this challenge? Will you commit $1 per pound that I lose? or $2, $3, $5, or even $10 per pound (or more)? I am going to embarrass myself by disclosing my weight. Currently I weigh 245 pounds. My personal goal in this challenge is to lose at least 30 pounds in the next three months. My goal for my friend Dan is to raise over $3000 for his medical fund.


Dan is an amazing young man who has devoted his life to serving at UCYC here in Prescott, AZ. His devotion to the Lord, the camp, and his family and friends is inspiring. Please join me as we seek to help him in his time of need. Also, please commit to praying for Dan Barker and to his continued recovery.


Chris Herrington


P.S. I have sponsored myself $10 a pound in this challenge. I can’t wait to write a check to Dan for $300-$400.

P.S.S. You can do a onetime donation if you would like. Just write check payable to: “The Dan Barker Medical Fund.”


Living life together,

Chris Herrington

Program Director



928-445-0391 office

928-848-1574 cell

877-560-3617 fax

1 comment:

Lorina said...

Hi there! I'm Lorina, one of the counselors from Catalyst Church (we attended HS camp back at the beginning of June). I would like to pledge $1 per pound. :] I'm so glad to hear about Dan's miraculous progress.

Good luck!