Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Phil 1:12-18

Today I'm working through the following passage:

Paul's Chains Advance the Gospel
12Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Verse 18 says it all. Regardless of the motivation of those who are speaking out of envy and rivalry of Paul's message or Paul's style. He is reminding the Philippians of the overwhelming joy he has because Christ is being proclaimed through it all.

God give us joy as we make you known to those around us. Help us to check our motives against the evil that rages in our hearts, so that you will be given praise in all we do and say.

No comments: